Yummy in my tummy herbed cheese. I have to say this is a first in my book for creating a vegan cheese. And I have to say I am hitting myself in the head for not trying it sooner.
The hardest thing for veganism for me (or was) was no cheese. I would try dairy free cheese from the super market and it never was the same. Almost kind of plastic tasting to be honest. And it cost more money too. Double whammy.
So low and behold I came to the acceptance of no cheese forever. Sure I missed it but it wasn’t worth it to eat it for me personally. Then this morning happened and I am so ecstatic! The best of both worlds really has come true!
I created a decadent herbed cheese made from our own home that literally cost me 2 dollars to make! And the result is a huge satisfying mozzarella like cheese ball.
Isn’t it pretty?
The taste is super herby, creamy, cheesy! I’m currently stuffing my face while creating this post.
Ya know, the usually.
The recipe is below and I strongly recommend you try it. I will be trying different nuts in the future but currently the cashew hit a home run for me.
Thanks cashews! You can also see here how to make mlyk from these babies.
- 2 cups of cashews
- 2 tablespoons of nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons of water
- 1 tablespoon of white vinegar
- 1 clove of garlic
- s&p to taste
- ½ teaspoon dill
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon of basil
- Soak cashews for two hours in luke warm water (or cold water overnight)
- Drain cashews and put in your blender with all of the ingredients except for the herbs. Blend for 2 minutes until creamy.
- Scrape out of blender and into a container with your herbs.
- Whip it into the cheez
- Put in a cheese cloth (or just use white cotton fabric) and wrap around tight with a plate underneath so any juices left can be extracted.
- Refrigerate for 12 hours (or overnight).
- Take out and ready to serve
- Optional: sprinkle more herbs on top
Can’t believe its already Wednesday. Keeping up with the water challenge and my face is the clearest I have seen it in a long time. Yay for hydrating yourself!
Hope all of you have a wonderful day and please share if you have tried any homemade cheeses or what you think of this one!