Power snacks are crucial when you have a busy life. Not that mine is that busy but there are times where I am and I try to plan ahead so I don’t succumb to eating out if necessary.
Power snack, in my opinion, needs to be long lasting, portable, easy to pack, and keep you full for a long period of time. Oh and super scrumptious too.
Did you get all that?
Well there are lots of fun creative power snacks to share today and I am sharing one that is versatile in flavor and something I cook often for lunch. Its also great if you decide to go for a weekend hike or camping trip. What could it be???
So the title isn’t great, it’s not,”that sounds good get in my belly” kind of name. But I’m telling ya, don’t judge a book by its cover. These crunchy chick peas rock my world.
Chickpeas are also known as garbanzo beans. They are a wonderful source of protein and can be used in a variety of recipes. The chickpeas below are in the natural form, before being soaked for 12 hours, boiled for 20 minutes, then baked for another 20 minutes with olive oil and seasonings. Yeah its a process but totally worth it.
You can always op for the canned garbanzo beans…makes you a little gassier though…:)
Like rice for me, they have the side effect of blooming in your tummy and making you fuller for longer…. making them the perfect power snack for work or a great day outdoors. W
hen you add the seasoning to your liking, you will find yourself eating this stuff like popcorn. But don’t worry, health benefits lie in your future!
Health benefits of chickpeas?
- Very high fiber (fiber is the best helper for the digestive system)
- Powerhouse of antioxidants
- decrease cholesterol level
- Super protein….with the added fiber in chickpeas its wonderful for finding sugar balance in your body.
100 grams of chickpeas equals…
- 8 grams of dietary fiber
- 9 grams of protein
- 3 grams of fat
- 0 grams of cholesterol (yes please!)
- 27 grams of carbs (hence keeping you full for longer)
Hope this is informative and helpful! And, without further ado, the recipe is listed below!
- 1 can of chickpeas or 1 cup of soaked chickpeas
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- ½ teaspoon of cumin
- ½ teaspoon of paprika
- s&p to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- coat baking pan of olive oil
- pour chickpeas in the pan
- add seasoning listed above
- make sure to use a spoon and mix the mixture around, then flatten it so all chickpeas are laying flat in the pan
- Bake for 20 minutes or until a nice crispy shell is created( it will be soft on the inside)
- Let cool and eat!
Ps: Still keeping up with the Water challenge and feeling great!