Strong cinnamon and coffee smells are working my kitchen this morning. Ahhhhhhhhh
Got a little sweet tooth going on so I thought I would try something new…coffee cake. This is my first time making it and I plan on making many more to come. I have always loved coffee cake but it was usually at someone else’s house or store bought. This was waaaaay better, 90% was just self satisfaction and the other 10% was just that it tasted just better in general:)
Evelyn and I got a recipe that was inspired by hotforfoodblog.com and added a few twists on our own.
We put on our aprons and got to work with determined faces. It was pretty easy surpisingly, and lots of licking of the spoon ya know….the only downside was when I had to look at the sink…and dishes were sort of piled up onto another. But all in all it was a pretty good bargain:)
For anyone who doesn’t follow a plant based diet, don’t be frightened! This recipe is satisfying and if you are lacking the plant based supplements, you can substitue regular milk or butter for it too!
- 2 ½ C all purpose flour
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 C packed light brown sugar
- ½ C granulated sugar
- ¾ C + 2 tbsp vegan butter
- 1 C vanilla almond milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ C strong brewed coffee
- Powdered sugar
- Almond milk
- Put all dry ingredients in a mixing bowl, mix well, add melted margarine (or you can use coconut oil) and mix into a crumble
- Take 1¼ cup of this mixture off to side
- Add wet ingredients to the original dry mix bowl and mix into batter.
- Pour batter into pan, add the separate crumble on top
- degrees for 55 60 minutes
- For icing start with 1 cup powdered sugar and add an ⅛ cup of milk, add for desired consistantsy and layer on cake once finished
Starting the day off with a sugar high, good luck to you all!